Did you know that approximately 1 in 3 adults have high blood pressure? Although there is not one magic food that can lower blood pressure, there is a variety of foods that can help:
- WALNUTS. Eating 1/2 cup of walnuts daily has been shown to lower blood pressure, improve blood flow and shrink the waist. They contain health fats, magnesium and high fiber.
- BEETS & BEET JUICE. Rich in nitrates which helps widen blood vessels and improve blood flow. Studies show that drinking just 8 ounces of beet juice lowered blood pressure for 24 hours.
- FLAX SEED. People with hypertension who ate just 3 tablespoons daily for 6 months lowered blood pressure by 10%. Grind it up and add to yogurt or smoothie.
- GAZPACHO. The tomato base cold soup is loaded with Carotenes, Vitamin C and Polyphenols.
- POTASSIUM RICH FOODS. Bananas, salmon and plain yogurt. Potassium relaxes the walls of blood vessels and helps counteract the effects of sodium, which raises blood pressure.
Not only do these foods help lower your blood pressure, they are good for you in many other ways by providing essential vitamins and minerals to your diet!