Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic dental health technique that involves swishing a tablespoon of oil (most commonly used are: organic coconut oil, olive oil or sesame oil) in your mouth on an empty stomach for around 20 minutes (I reached 5 to 7 minutes the first few times and worked my way up to 20 minutes. It takes getting used to, but gets much easier with practice). Oil pulling has antioxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that can lead to various dental and health benefits:
HEALTH BENEFITS OF OIL PULLING:
- Whitens teeth, strengthens gums & jaw
- Prevents cavities & gingivitis
- Relieves bad breath
- Can help relieve headaches & migraines
- Improves quality of sleep
- Detoxifies the body
- Improves skin conditions
- Also believed to help with hormonal imbalances, kidney conditions, pain and more…
INSTRUCTIONS FOR OIL PULLING:
- Place 1 to 2 tablespoons in small ramekin.
- Place ramekin in a larger bowl of hot water to help liquify the oil.
- Once the oil is liquid, put in mouth and swish around and work up to 20 minutes.
- Spit the oil in a trash can as the oil can become solid and clog the drain.
- Rinse mouth with warm water ( can add a little himalayan or sea salt to help get rid of the oil residue).
- Brush teeth well with a natural toothpaste.