Now that you are drinking more water, getting plenty of sleep, taking at least 15 minutes out of each day to clear your mind and meditate, keeping a food journal, and moving; it is time to start spending more time outside! Many of us get ready for work, jump in the car and go to work and will not spend any time outside all day long. Getting outside in nature is so important for our mental and physical health. Studies show that getting outside in nature for at least 15 to 20 minutes a day will improve focus & energy levels, reduce stress & anxiety, ease depression, inspire creativity, improve memory, strengthen immunity, improve happiness, increase spirituality, improve sleep quality, improve productivity, and overall improve one’s vitality. One’s vitality is the state of being strong and in good health. This does not mean you have to go for a hike or walk everyday but would definitely benefit your health greatly. Here are some fun and easy ways to get in nature 15 to 20 minutes a day.
Easy Ways To Get In Nature Each Day:
- HAVE YOUR COFFEE/TEA & BREAKFAST OUTSIDE. Sit out on the porch and listen to the birds and other sounds of nature and soak in some sun while you eat breakfast.
- FIND A PARK TO EAT YOUR LUNCH AT. Leave work on your lunch break and take your lunch to a close park or nature setting and relax outdoors for 20 minutes.
- FIND A TRAIL OR STATE PARK FOR WEEKEND TRIPS/VACATIONS. Take the family or pets to a state park, trail, beach or other nature setting for a weekend trip or family vacation.
- SIT IN THE GRASS. Find a place that you can take a break and sit in the grass. Take in the nature sounds around you and be in the moment.
- TRADE ONE OF YOUR DAILY GYM WORKOUTS FOR A WORKOUT OUTSIDE. Instead of hitting the gym everyday, trade one workout each week to be outside. Go for a walk, a run or lay a mat down in the backyard and do some stretching.
- TRY GARDENING. Whether you plant vegetables or flowers, spending this time outdoors will improve your health.
- CAN’T GET IN NATURE, FAKE IT. If you can’t get in nature everyday, you can still reap brain-boosting benefits by faking it. A Korean study showed that people who were shown pictures of nature settings had heightened activity levels in the brain. Change your screen saver to a beautiful outdoor landscape and put pictures of nature up in your office and picture yourself in these pictures for 15 to 20 minutes!