Epsom Salt was named for a bitter saline spring in Surrey, England. Epsom salt has been used for ailments since it was discovered in 1618. It is actually not a salt, but a naturally occurring mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate. These minerals are readily absorbed by the skin and into the blood stream. Magnesium is an important element in the activity and regulation of approximately 325 enzymes in the body that reduce inflammation, help muscle and nerve function, flush toxins, and prevent hardening of the arteries. The top 10 benefits of Epsom Salt are:
- EASES STRESS. When dissolved in warm water, magnesium is easily absorbed by skin and helps produce the mood-elevating chemical serotonin that creates feelings of calmness.
- INCREASES ENERGY. Experts believe that soaking in Epsom salt 3 times a week helps a person look better, feel better, and gain more energy since magnesium encourages ATP production.
- IMPROVES SLEEP & CONCENTRATION. Magnesium ions lower the effects of adrenaline and reduces irritability. Many people see improvement in sleep quality and ability to concentrate.
- RELIEVES JOINT PAIN & MUSCLE CRAMPS. The minerals in Epsom salt are used to ease sore muscle and relieve inflammation. It has also been shown to heal cuts and reduce redness.
- ELIMINATES TOXINS FROM BODY. The sulfates in Epsom salt help flush out heavy toxins and metals from the cells. The minerals cause a process called “reverse osmosis,” which actually pulls salt out of your body and harmful toxins with it.
- RELIEVES CONSTIPATION. Taken internally, Epsom salt can act as a laxative by increasing water in the intestines and aid in temporary relief of constipation. However, a person should CONSULT their physician before using it as a treatment for constipation. One teaspoon can be added to a glass of water.
- FOOT HEALTH. Soaking in Epsom salt can relieve Athlete’s foot, treat toenail fungus, remove splinters, soothe sprains and bruises, and ease Gout discomfort.
- IMPROVE SKIN. A handful of Epsom salt mixed with olive oil or coconut oil can be rubbed on the skin to exfoliate and soften skin. Rinse off. A handful can be mixed with regular cleanser for exfoliating and has been shown to help with acne.
- IMPROVES BONE INTEGRITY. Epsom salt provides minerals that can help with integrity of our bones.
- GOOD FOR GARDENING. Sprinkle Epsom salt once weekly to help nourish your houseplants, flowers and vegetables. Add 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt to a gallon of water and sprinkle on your lawn to keep the grass healthy and green, Use Epson salts on your lawn and in your garden to safely and naturally get rid of plant pests.
Soak 2 to 3 times a week in Epsom Salt for improved health and well-being! See below for instructions for soaking in Epsom Salt!